From Addicting Info:
- FY 2012 spending accounts for about 24% of GDP.
- The all time high for federal spending is 44% of GDP set during WWII in 1944.
- During Reagan’s massive spending binges, the federal budget reached 23% of GDP. Slightly lower than it is today. Remember he was a “fiscal conservative” too.
- Social Security spending accounts for 19% of the federal budget.
- Military spending accounts for 19% of the federal budget.
- Medicare spending accounts for 12% of the federal budget.
- Financing the debt run up by the fiscally conservative Reagan accounts for 6% of the total budget, $242 billion in 2012.
- Fiscally conservative Reagan increased federal spending by 21.5% and increased the budget deficit by 89.2% in 8 years.
- Clinton increased federal spending by 12.4% and turned Reagan’s deficit into the largest budget surplus in history.
- Fiscally conservative George W. Bush increased federal spending by 32.2%. He wiped out the budget surplus he inherited and turned it into a whopping $1.5 trillion deficit in 8 years.
- Barack Obama has increased spending by 8% in two years. The deficit has shrunk from $1.5 trillion when he entered office to $1.2 trillion for FY12.
No comments yet.
- Campaign Finance
- Civil Rights
- Fox News
- Health Care
- Health Care Reform
- Media Criticism
- Presidential Campaign
- Tax Debate
- Tea Party
- Wall Street